Random Rants

Are Home Warranties Necessary?

FacebookTwitterPinterestAmazon Wish ListShare

We have recently decided that it’s time for us to buy a home. We have been renting in a fabulous neighborhood, primarily because it’s near one of the best schools in our city, and we just hate that we have been throwing away so much money over the past six years! Prices of homes are at a real low in our hometown right now, and we can purchase in the neighborhood that we are currently living in and our mortgage payment will actually be less than what we are currently paying in rent. Score!

I have recently began to look into home warranties, and what I found out was that I knew very little about them. I came across the American Home Shield website, and found much of the information I was looking for, including pricing and plans, a section deemed “Home Warranty 101″ (as you can imagine, I needed that one!), and even tips and maintenance to keep our future home systems up and running.

Owning a home will be one of our largest investments and with so many things that could go wrong, it seems silly not to have a home warranty policy to cover the repair or replacement of many of the most occurring breakdowns of home system components and appliances. What I found very cool about AHS is that a home warranty inspection wasn’t necessary. So, I filled out a short form and requested a quote and I am currently awaiting a response.

Do you have a a home warranty? If so, do you find it valuable? Do you think a home warranty is necessary for all homeowners?

Previous Post Next Post

You Might Also Like

7 Comments

• Reply Charrise April 28, 2011 at 1:58 pm

I think Home Warranties are WONDERFUL! We bought a Condo 3 Years ago and just a few months after moving in our Water Heater broke! This would have been an $800+ fix (parts/labor/permit for new heater) but thanks to our Home Warranty it was only $50 for the Service Call! =)

My Hubby is an Assitant Manager at a Home Warranty company (First American Home Warranty) so if you have any questions that you’d like to ask him you can email me & I’ll have him email you back with answers to any questions you might have!

Tonyncharrise@hotmail.com

• Reply Candace April 28, 2011 at 4:17 pm

Thanks for the very kind offer Charrise. It’s crazy how much goes into buying a house. It seems like the mortgage is just the beginning!

• Reply Charrise April 28, 2011 at 1:59 pm

*ASSISTANT Manager … guess I was typing too fast! ;)

• Reply Heidi Adam April 28, 2011 at 6:36 pm

Our first home included a home warranty, and I was very happy it did. Shortly after moving in we had to replace a leaking basement faucet and the warranty covered it. We also had problems with our furnace and the warranty fixed the furnace. At the time we had a $0 deductible! Remember though, the warranty company will first try to have someone fix the issue and it is at their discretion to replace something.

• Reply Candace April 29, 2011 at 5:21 pm

Thanks for the advice Heidi, it seems that this is a must have!

• Reply Katrina April 29, 2011 at 9:12 am

We have a home warranty through American Home Shield, and have for 7 years! We love them! Our house is 30 years old, so we knew that we could anticipate some costly repairs.

Our most costly repair was our central a/c unit! It bit the dust and thanks to our awesome warranty we got a brand new unit for our $50 deductable! A/C units are EXPENSIVE! Score!

• Reply Candace April 29, 2011 at 5:21 pm

OMG! AC units are mega bucks. Thanks for sharing your experience. I think we will def. be picking up a warranty on the new home!